Microneedling Richmond, VA
What is SkinPen Microneedling?
SkinPen by Bellus Medical is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device. It causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process, while minimizing cellular damage. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue, while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
Phases to Wound-Repair Process
There are three phases to the wound-repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
Benefits of Microneedling
- Improves both the quality and the texture of your skin. How? Microneedling not only stimulates new collagen formation, it also leads to remodeling of existing collagen so that it is sturdier and provides more support for sagging skin.
- Reduces acne and other scars on your skin. Acne and trauma lead to fibrosis underneath the skin. Microneedling breaks up this fibrosis, which allows the skin to release this tenting and allow the surface to be smoother and more even.
- Reduces blackheads on your face. The precise piercings of thousands of needle sticks free up and knock out black heads during the procedure.
- Helps to actually treat and reduce acne. Studies have shown this, although the exact mechanism is not known. It is likely that microneedling leads to a reduction in sebum production that makes the skin less oily.
- Exfoliates your skin. The outer layer of your skin is made up of dead skin. Removing some of this layer gives you a fresher, more glowing appearance.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles. It has been demonstrated that the small holes created by the thousands of needle piercings break into the upper levels of the dermis and cause the release of growth factors. These are incredibly strong substances the send out messages that lead to increased collagen and elastin in the skin of this area.
- Evens out skin complexion and reduces dark spots. It is not completely understood, but it is thought microneedling increases expression of something called matrix mealloproteinases and this is what decreases the hyperpigmentation.
- Reduces the appearance of pore size. Microneedling helps pores appear smaller. By stimulating collagen in and around your pores, the surrounding cells plump up and the pores appear smaller in size.
Is Microneedling Safe?
Microneedling is safe, effective, with minimal discomfort and minimal downtime.
Microneedling Before & Afters
Schedule A Consultation
If you are interested in Microneedling, please contact Rejuvenate MD at 804-270-5920 for a free consultation! Our practice serves Richmond, Glen Allen, and surrounding areas in Virginia.